The Environmental Assessment (EA) commissioned by the Menominee Tribe is now two years old and critically flawed. It completely ignores the major Hard Rock Casino expansion recently announced in Rockford, Illinois, as well as Ho Chunk $705M hotel and casino in Beloit. This outdated document fails to reflect current realities and should not be the basis for federal approval. Key concerns in brief: Outdated planning assumptions and land-use misalignment: EA relies on old data; the Master Plan Betrayal shows the...
In March of 2026, the Bureau of Indian Affairs formally invited state and local officials to submit written comments on this project under Section 20 of the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act. That invitation remains open and urgent. State, county, and local officials, including the Governor of Wisconsin, Kenosha County, City of Kenosha, Town of Somers, Village of Pleasant Prairie, and all neighboring communities, should weigh in immediately and request a full Environmental Impact Statement to ensure Wisconsin citizens aren’t left...
The Menominee Tribe’s Environmental Assessment for the proposed Kenosha casino claims the project is safe and well-planned — but a closer look reveals major gaps that could permanently harm local neighborhoods. The original master plan never envisioned a massive 24-hour casino generating over 25,000 daily car trips in an area designed for quiet residential living and small-scale commercial uses. Thousands of new homes are being built nearby, yet the study ignores the expected drop in property values, along with severe...
That concern is now being sharpened by newly released correspondence from County Supervisor Laura Belsky, who says key documents and project analyses were being reviewed by county staff long before they were ever shared with the full County Board or the public. In a March 18 transparency request sent to Kerkman, county staff, municipal leaders, and the full County Board, Belsky said she had been asking for more than a year about traffic impacts, environmental review, infrastructure, and the project’s...
In its latest fact sheet on gambling, the WHO underlined the need for comprehensive and population-wide interventions to prevent and reduce gambling harms. It described banning advertising, sponsorship, and promotions as a necessary first step in tackling the problem. The organisation also advocated for stronger regulatory measures, including universal registration systems requiring binding loss limits and stricter controls on gambling products and availability. The WHO highlighted the prevalence of gambling disorders, which affect an estimated 1.2% of the world’s adult population,...
Dave Ramsey Sounds the Alarm on Gambling Addiction While many people are excited about the record-breaking numbers in sports betting, financial expert Dave Ramsey sees a big problem. “Sports betting isn’t just a little hobby—it’s an addiction that’s wrecking families and futures,” Ramsey recently tweeted. He pointed out that the ease of placing bets from a phone makes it dangerously simple to lose everything. “The industry is out of control, making it easier than ever to lose everything with just a few taps on...
A History of Missed Deadlines and Unmet Expectations When the Menominee Tribe initially sought support from Kenosha’s Common Council and County Board, they painted an optimistic picture, claiming federal approval could be expected by early 2025. Yet, as deadlines continue to pass with little to no progress, Kenosha remains in the dark. The tribe, which once sought frequent engagement with local leaders, has gone silent. Read more here.
The Menominee made a lot of promises to Kenosha when trying to get the City and County of Kenosha to sign on the dotted line for a casino intergovernmental agreement – including telling Kenosha we should expect the federal government to approve of its casino application by now. Read more here.
For the last two and a half years, the Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin – along with their partner the Seminole Tribe of Florida – have been trying to woo the Kenosha community and elected officials to get approval for their latest attempt to open an off-reservation casino in Kenosha. That’s not particularly surprising – they need elected officials’ and community support in order to get their casino application approved. Read more here.
In order for the project to move forward, the casino proposal needs to get the approval of city and county officials, the governor of Wisconsin and the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs, according to WGTD. In July, Kenosha City Administrator John Morrissey said that an agreement on the casino development was “all but finalized,” but no details were provided. Other casino developments around the United States that were short on details have turned into lengthy court fights, with results sometimes going...
Latest Posts
- What They Don’t Want You to Know: The Proposed Kenosha Casino’s Assault on the Master Plan, Environment & Neighborhoods
- State, County, and Local Official Invited to Comment on Kenosha Casino
- What the Menominee Tribe’s Environmental Study Missed: Critical Gaps That Leave Kenosha Residents Unprotected
- New Records Raise Transparency Questions in Kenosha Casino Push as Officials Face Scrutiny Over Private Coordination
- WHO calls RG measures ‘ineffective’ and urges gambling ad ban
